Monday, November 30, 2015

Work and the family and how they affect each other



This week we read some really interesting articles about the role that work plays in the family, from deciding who is going to work, where they are going to work, and what division of household work will be divided amongst the individual family members. I am going to include the links to some of the resources that we read this week because I thought they were really well written and I gained great perspective from reading them. First off I want to state that I believe in something called "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". This is a religious statement made by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to which I belong. Part of this statement reads "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners." This is the essence of what I believe to be correct in regards to the relationship of work in the home, that the father is to be responsible to provide the necessities of life and that the mother is primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. One article we read this week was advice on how to go from a dual income family down to just a single income family. It was really good advice but I think if we started out surviving on a single income that we would avoid the trouble of trying to make that transition later on. We also read a really good article about if being a mother means that you trade your brain for a mop so to speak. I don't think so, I thoroughly agree that in our day and age there are limitless ways to continue to develop your mind without leaving your home. I love how this statement clarifies that fathers and mothers are obligated to help each other as equal partners. That is beautiful to me because to me that means if I see that a bed needs made or a toilet needs cleaning that I don't say to myself "Oh that is my wives job since she is home all day and I am out working". The last article we read this week talked about work in the family as being the very thing that draws us together and is the facilitating force to creating strong family bonds. This is something that I firmly believe because it was a principle that I saw exhibited in my own family. I really like how it pointed out that we are trying to create so many machines to do our work for us but that they are in reality taking away those opportunities that we desperately need to spend time together and bond. I believe The Family: A Proclamation to the World came from God to His living prophet and that it is a blueprint for happiness and it is definitely what I will be striving for in my own life.




http://magazine.byu.edu/article/family-work/



http://www.dennisprager.com/columns/?g=8e8f6ecd-d9c8-4bc0-a4bb-ad12d301044b&url=does_a_full-time_homemaker_swap_her_mind_for_a_mop

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765556846/Staying-at-home-How-to-downsize-from-dual-to-single-income.html?pg=1

https://www.lds.org/topics/family-proclamation?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment